Low Calorie Angel Food Cake
My husband is always looking for something to snack on after dinner and often times it’s something sweet. Just last night he asked me “what can I eat that’s sweet, filling, and low calories?” If you are like my husband and are looking for something sweet, filling and low calories check out this recipe, I think you might like it!
12 egg whites room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups sugar substitute*
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Sift flour, cornstarch, sweetener, and salt into a bowl. Set aside
3. Using a mixer, whip egg whites with the cream of tartar until medium peaks form. Add the vanilla little by little
4. Gently, using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture into the egg whites in 3-4 batches. Be careful, do not deflate the egg whites
5. Place mixture into a UNGREASED angel food pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake is springy to the touch and the top is golden
6. Remove from the oven and invert pan onto the neck of a wine bottle to cool completely
7. Run a knife around the rim of the cake pan to remove the sides. Then run your knife between the cake and the bottom part of the mold to release the bottom part
8. Serve with sour cream, sugar-free whipped topping, and fresh fruit
*You can use 1 1/2 cups of Swerve or Splenda. Just keep in mind that some sweeteners are stronger than others, so read on the label their conversion chart to see how much you would need to replace 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
Nutrition: 66 calories per serving, 12 total servings
*Check out more great recipes on living sweet moments.